Saturday 6 June 2009

Arete on The Pebble video

Over the last couple of years I've enjoyed making short videos. I've ended up doing some odd things when editing, with variable results. However, I've been pretty pleased with the results of some of them. Like this one




I didn't plan for this to be anything like it turned out. I had intended it to be a mix of colour and black and white with the close up shots freezing and loosing colour to emphasise... well I'm not sure what it was meant to emphasise, but it works on CSI; not here though, it was rubish.
Obviously I climbed the problem several times with the camera in different places.
The original footage had another climber trying the traverse and cleaning holds in the background, which was a bit distracting. A bit of masking got him out of the picture so I was the only action happening.
I messed about with contrast and brightness to get the look a bit more black and white rather than shades of grey. I've got it wrong in some places and have lost definition on my hands and head, but generally it is OK.
Music was created with Sony Cinescore.
The picture at the start with the title is a still from another video - the effect I was aiming at was to look a bit like Ansel Adams' photo of El Cap - pretty ambitious for a 12ft high lump of sedimentary rock in Northern England, but If you don't ask you don't get.

No comments:

Post a Comment