Tuesday 23 June 2009

Impossible film project

I've been trying to make a film about urban trout fishing in Sheffield. It's not going well. The obvious practical difficulties are enough of a challange
  • getting cameras in place without scaring all the fish off
  • batteries and tapes running out before catching a fish
  • composing the shot without knowing just where I'll be standing when I do catch a fish
  • the weather
This last one got me last night. I got the cameras set up and got myself into position where I could see a couple of nice trout feeding. Then it started raining. Rather than risk my cameras getting damaged I decided to put them away and wait for the rain to stop. It didn't.

Having got very wet and having accepted that I wasn't going to get any good footage I decided to start fishing in the rain. I flicked a gold head nymph just upstream of the fish; the bigger one gently opened it mouth and took it. On my little 7ft light rod and 2lb leader this beautiful 3/4 lb fish put up a right scrap. I put him back and 5 minutes later caught his slightly smaller friend. This would have looked great if I'd caught it on film. Still came home with a big grin on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment